Index to Blog Posts from 11/2018 through 02/2020
As you may have noticed if you’ve been around the blog for awhile, there is no true index anywhere. You can, of course, use the search function (on the right of the main menu) to look up specific words, and I have the menu separated into categories, but you may have been frustrated trying to find something specific in the past.
I’ve decided to rectify that by creating an index, with some added detail on the subjects of some of the posts. If I get positive feedback on it, I’ll plan an update every 6 months or so to keep it current.
You’ll notice that some entries have a * next to them. These posts have additional bonus material available in my Subscribers’ Resource Library. If you’re not already a subscriber, please go here to sign up for these, plus other bonus materials (such as my DIY Garden Trellis plans and DIY Adjustable Plant Shelf). You’ll receive a once weekly newsletter with helpful hints and tips. What you won’t ever receive is spam, and I NEVER sell or share your information.
This post contains affiliate links. When you make a purchase through one of these links, I receive a small commission. This does not affect your purchase price.
This is, of course, the first category in the main menu. Since it’s such a broad category, this one deserves a bit of special attention, so I’ve subdivided things below.
Getting Started: Seeds
You’ll find 6 posts under this subcategory.
First, you’ll want to check out my post on Cold Stratification if you’re growing native plants and flowers that typically grow in colder climates.
Lastly, when those baby plants are ready to make the transition to the great outdoors, check out 5 Tips for Transplanting Success to get them started strong.
Getting Started: Soil
Getting Started: Outdoor Gardening
Should you have limited gardening space, Container Vegetable Gardening will be right up your alley.
Maybe you’re wondering how many veggies to plant to feed your family. You can find some help in my How Many/ Which Veggies to Plant post.
If you’re looking to start a garden without spending a fortune, check out my Start a Vegetable Garden on the Cheap post.
If you’d rather not spend hours working in your garden every week, No-Till Gardening might be just what you need.
If you’re having trouble with grasshoppers eating your entire garden (they can definitely do that!), check out my Grasshopper Control post.
Got a nasty (and itchy!) surprise after you were out in the garden? My Poison Ivy Remedies might be just the ticket.
You’ll also find some really helpful DIY recipes for pest control, fertilizer and more in my Insanely Useful DIY Recipes for Gardeners post.
Miscellaneous Garden Basics
Let’s move on to another menu heading: Outdoor Plants. This one has subheadings, so we’ll do each one separately, but briefly.
Seeds of Thanksgiving (growing tips for milkweed and butterfly weed)
Iris, Cannas & Elephant Ears (growing tips)
My Visit to the CT Flower Show (there are some resources I discovered that might be helpful)
Crop of the Week
If you’ve been around awhile, you might have already read this series as it came out weekly last spring and summer. Here it is, though, in alphabetical order in case you need a refresher.
NOTE: All Crops of the Week have associated bonus material in the Resource Library. If you’d rather have a fully printable version all in one place, you can purchase that here for just a few dollars.
- Beets (for recipes & preserving tips, go here)
- Brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc)
- Cucurbits (cucumbers, squash)(for recipes & preserving tips, go here) ~ *there’s a freezer pickle recipe in the Resource Library as well
- Salad Crops (lettuce, spinach, radishes)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Tomatoes (for recipes to use up those tomatoes, visit my *Salsa post and my Spaghetti Sauce post)
Fruit & Vegetables (not included in Crop of the Week)
Egyptian Walking Onions (how to grow, harvest and use them)
Growing Short Season Fall Crops (long list, including peas, brassicas, lettuce, spinach, herbs) plus specific end of season growing tips.
Pollinators & Beneficials
- Bats (attracting & keeping them in your yard)
- Dragonflies (attracting & keeping them happy)
- Hummingbirds (where do they go in late spring each year?)
- Raising Monarch Butterflies
- Raising Swallowtail Butterflies
- Beneficial Predatory Insects (what they are, why you want them and how to encourage them)
Planning your Butterfly Garden (selecting plants, site selection, etc.)
Biodiversity in the Garden (why even the “bad” guys are beneficial)
The next menu heading is Indoor Plants. Most posts are specific to a certain plant, with a few pest control posts as well.
- African Violets (two posts ~ Growing African Violets and Splitting/Propagating African Violets)
- Growing Amaryllis
- Christmas/Easter/Thanksgiving Cactus
- Growing Citrus Indoors
- Growing Herbs Indoors
- *Growing Poinsettia
- Indoor Salad Sprouts
Recipes & Crafts
- *Beet Recipes (+ how to preserve them)
- *Carrot Relish
- Grape Jam
- Okonomiyaki with Garlic Scapes
- Peach Recipes (+ how to preserve them)
- *Pepper Recipes (+ how to preserve them)
- *Easy Mild Salsa Recipe
- Easy, Delicious Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- *Homemade Yogurt with Raw Milk
- Zucchini Recipes (+ how to preserve them)
- *Holiday Side Dish Recipes (New England Style Baked Beans, Sweet & Sour Meatballs, plus a few additional recipes)
- *Holiday Dessert Recipes (“Poop” Cake, Stained Glass Windows, Kentucky Butter Cake)
- *Easy Recipes for Busy Gardeners (Marinated BBQ Chicken, Beef Stroganoff, Hot Dog Casserole + Recipe Roundup)
Crafts & DIY
- Easy Lavender Sachets (super simple, great gifts!)
- *Fun Activities for Kids in the Garden (tons of activities to keep them busy!)
- DIY Produce Bags (eco-friendly, minimal sewing skills required)
- Succulent Container Garden (super quick, lovely gift)
- Succulent Wreath (fun to make)
- Birdcage Fairy Garden (so pretty and easy!)
- Fabric Scrap Wreath (my most popular craft to date!!)
Need the perfect gift? Check out any or all of my gift guides!
- Year-Round Gardeners’ Gift Guide
- Valentine’s Day Gift Guide
- Ultimate Gardeners’ Gift Guide
- Christmas 2019 Gift Guide
These blog posts are, you guessed it, random! They’re things I wanted to talk about that didn’t really fit into another category, so this is where they ended up. I’ve arranged them here in alphabetical order by subject (as best I can!)
- Day before Christmas (a silly little poem I had such fun writing)
- Fungus Among Us (lots and lots of pretty mushrooms ~ yes, some are pretty!)
- Heirloom Life Gardener book review (and I still highly recommend it!)
- Leaves Change Color (why leaves change colors in the fall)
- New Year’s Cheer (lots of cheerful pictures to help you through the winter)
- Scavenger Hunt (a hunt around the blog)
- Spring Garden Tour (a spring photo tour of my garden)
- Sustainable Home (tips & ideas)
- Wish List (things I’d love to have for my garden ~ might give you some ideas!)
- When Gardening is the 51st Shade of Grey (in honor of World Naked Gardening Day)
So that’s it, all the blog posts to date in some kind of order. I hope this has been helpful and that you’ll use this resource often when you have questions. I’m going to keep it “stuck” to the top of the blog so you’ll see it every time you visit.
I hope today’s post has been helpful as you navigate the blog.
As always, thanks for reading, smile and have a crazy organic day!